Galactomyces as a skin care ingredient - what you need to know.
Korean women are known for their youthful and flawless skin. This is the result not only of their strict skincare regime but also thanks to the innovative ingredients used in their skincare products. One such ingredient is Galactomyces (pronounced "galacto-my-says"). This is actually a type of fungus (sounds disgusting but Mizon includes a range of products containing snail mucin filtrate which also gives amazing results, so it’s worth a try!). Galactomyces Ferment Filtrate (sometimes referred to as GFF) is the actual active ingredient used - this is the liquid which is filtered out after the fungus does its job of fermenting stuff! Manyo Factory has a range of products containing this wonderful ingredient and here’s why!
Koreans and Japanese have always enjoyed fermented foods on a daily basis due to the positive effects on their bodies, their skin and overall health (think Kimichi).
A link was then made to the benefits externally as well as internally when it was observed in a sake brewery in Japan that the elderly brewers had smooth, wrinkle free hands whilst their faces showed signs of ageing. The reason for the difference in the skin on the hands and the face was that the fungus (called Aspergillus oryzae) used in the brewing process delayed the signs of ageing.
It’s no surprise that skincare manufacturers could see the benefits for use in skincare products which led to years of research and the discovery of Galactomyces, a similar fungus to that used in sake brewing, which can be used on the skin and is now incorporated in to a lot of anti-aging products in Korea and Japan.
The fungus is carefully fermented and filtered to get the correct powerful ingredient to benefit the skin in the form of a filtrate. Some of the most expensive skin care brands like SKII famously use this ingredient in their product.
What are the benefits when using skincare products containing Galactomyces Ferment Filtrate?
- As fermentation is a process which breaks down molecules into smaller pieces, these are more easily absorbed by the skin making the other ingredients in a product more potent
- It can significantly reduce the size of enlarged pores as well as blackheads
- It helps to brighten up tired and dull looking skin bringing back the skin’s natural glow
- It helps to regulate oil/sebum production
- It can boost the skin’s immunity protecting it from harmful UV rays
- It helps to nourish and revitalise the skin while reducing the signs of ageing
- It helps to moisturise the skin especially very dry and tired skin
- The fermented ingredient even helps speed up collagen production so the skin becomes taut and tighter over time (a reviewer on Memebox described it “like botox in a bottle”)
- A study published in the Korean Journal of Aesthetic Cosmetology in 2014 concluded that GFF improves acne by 10% (NB - bacterial acne and not fungal acne (see comment below))
With a list like that, it’s no wonder Korean and Japanese women swear by it (Renee from @gothamista being one of the many fans of fermentation). Manyo Factory have a range of products containing this hero ingredient which are suitable for use on their own or as a formidable trio which complement each step of your skin routine – Manyo Factory Clearskin Toner, Manyo Factory Galactomyces Niacin Special Treatment Essence and Manyo Factory Galactomyces Special Treatment Essence Cream. After cleansing, use the three products in the order listed to specifically target troubled skin by minimising pores, brightening skin suffering from acne, moisturising and restoring damaged skin.
It should be pointed out that the use of products containing fermented ingredients are not for everyone. When first using any new skincare product, a patch test should be done but particularly when using those containing a fermented ingredient. In the case of Galactomyces, it is not recommended if you have fungal acne or a malassezia-induced skin condition (e.g. pityrosporum folliculitis, rityriasis rosea, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, eczema etc) as it can cause an adverse reaction. The good news is that products containing snail mucin filtrate should not aggravate malassezia so if you wanted to use products with slightly unusual ingredients, MIZON’S ALL IN ONE SNAIL CREAM AND SNAIL AMPOULE are worth considering.
We are always happy to answer any questions you may have, so please just contact us, if you need any further information.